Happy Holidays everyone! You know what always marks the sign of holidays for me? Aside from the amazing smell of Christmas trees (omg!), peppermint bark showing up in store! You know, the stuff you see in places like Williams Sonoma? Well I’m going to show you how to make it today for much much less than the $28 price tag over there and it is one of the easiest things to do! I mean, I was shocked how easy it is. And it looks great! This is perfect for all those holiday parties you’re heading to this weekend. Ok, let’s get into it!
What you’ll need:
1 bag of chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet, but milk or dark chocolate work just fine as well.)
1 bag of white chocolate chips
3-4 Candy Canes
Peppermint Extract (Optional)
Baking Pan (I used 9×12 but use whatever you have.)
That’s it! Ok so the hardest part of this is you need to melt the chocolate over a double boiler. What in the heck is that? Basically, it’s a pot of simmering hot water and another bowl that holds the chocolate that goes over the water but doesn’t touch it. Check out this little video from Epicurious on how to do this.
Ok so here’s how it goes:
- Line the baking pan with a sheet of wax paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler – just the semi-sweet, not the white chocolate chips.
- Pour melted chocolate onto the wax paper and spread with a spatula.
- Place pan in the freezer.
- While the first layer is cooling, throw the candy canes in a ziploc bag and crush them! Get some of that holiday stress out. 😉
- Melt white chocolate in the double boiler. About halfway through melting, add in 3/4 of the crushed candy canes. This is also where you can add the peppermint extract if you want a stronger peppermint bark. Honestly, I would try without first though.
- Pull the pan out of the freezer, pour the white chocolate mix over the first layer and spread with the spatula.
- Place in freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Then pull it out and chop it up into bite size pieces.
Is that not the easiest holiday dessert you’ve made this season? Or maybe the only one? haha. Anyway, give it a try, everyone is bound to love it. Or keep the plate for yourself, I’m not judging. It also makes for a great gift. Throw it in a mason jar or some little tins and wrap it in a ribbon for a super cute gift that anyone will love!